If I was to rename this blog, I think I would call it Baking With Booze. I mean, every time I do, we do have a pretty darn happy home!
Last year I finally made my aunt’s Whiskey Cake and wrote about it in a blatant attempt to drool all over the Internet.
When the Junk Whisperer visited me over Christmas, we brainstormed other ways we could adapt the recipe while daintily eating bites of Whiskey Cake and practicing portion control. Just kidding. The only thing that was true about that sentence was the brainstorming and the Christmas visit.
She went home and made a Rum Cake, which I hear was delicious. I decided to make Chocolate Peppermint Schnapps Cake.
I’m glad you’ve read along with me up until this point because we might not be able to be friends after this next comment.
Cake really isn’t my thing and chocolate doesn’t make my skirt fly up.
I know, I know. I’m one of “those” people. We’re rare, but we do exist.
The only chocolate we have in our house is chocolate chips.
Pie. Fruity candy. That’s where it’s at. That’s why neither of those things are in my house.
So, it’s a big darn deal (and slightly pathetic) when I eat my piece of Chocolate Peppermint Schnapps Cake and I cleaned up the crumbs my son left on his plate too.
My husband had a piece of the cake for breakfast. He called it research – just to let our readers know if the cake was still moist the day after. I do appreciate his support of this blog. While it pained me to have a conversation about one of the most terrible words on the planet (m*#st), I did appreciate how he took one for the team.
It’s one fewer piece that will go straight to my hips.
In case you are wondering, he declared the cake still m*#st.
Please note: in all of these pictures, I only poured about a third of the glaze on the cake. The recipe makes a ton of glaze and I didn’t want to move around a cake plate precariously overloaded with sticky glaze. I know when not to tempt fate.
However, after the fact, when the glaze had cooled enough to sample, I realized it needed to be more peppermint-y. I did the logical thing and added more booze. It ended up being peppermint flavored without tasting like an Altoid exploded in your mouth. In retrospect, I could have added peppermint extract, but that’s not a staple in my pantry.
My point is, the glaze is something you can adjust for yourself to get it just right for you. There’s no right or wrong. Well, unless you don’t make the cake. That would be wrong.
This would be a fun and different cake to surprise your sweetie with for Valentine’s Day. Oh, and if someone could remind my husband that Valentine’s Day is coming? Thank you so much.
CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT SCHNAPPS CAKE
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 box Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
1 small box of instant chocolate pudding (3.4 oz)
1/2 cup Peppermint Schnapps
1/2 cup water (the peppermint flavor of the cake is very subtle, so if you change the ratio of peppermint schnapps, to water, let me know how it turns out)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup Peppermint Schnapps
1/4 cup water (you could leave this part out for a more intense flavor, but I haven’t tried it – yet)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Grease and flour bundt pan.
3. Sprinkle chopped nuts in the bottom of the pan.
4. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, oil, water and whiskey.
5. Stir in dry ingredients (cake mix and pudding mix).
6. Pour cake batter into bundt pan.
7. Bake for 50 – 60 minutes at 325 degrees.
8. When cake is almost done baking, make the glaze. Combine sugar, butter, peppermint schnapps and water in a pan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 – 3 minutes.
9. Remove cake from bundt pan and place right side up. Poke small holes in the top of the cake (if you want). Carefully pour the warm glaze over the entire cake. The recipe makes a lot of glaze, so make sure that you have a cake plate/pan with high enough sides to catch the run-off. Definitely scoop this glaze run-off on top of the cake slices when served or reserve some in the pan to spoon on top of the cake slices. Yum!
Thanks for visiting today! If you’re not sick of me yet, here are some other posts you might enjoy.